Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Bullying


When I played softball in high school, there were many cliques within the team. A lot of who belonged to which clique depended on how the coach felt about you at the time because, aside from skill, playing time mainly came from who could shove their head up the coaches butt the most. The reason that it all started is because high school girls can be cruel; but, even more so when placed in a competitive setting.  I was never one of the favorites and most of the things that were said about me didn't phase me. There was another girl who also only fit in from time to time and she one of our main pitchers, who was not the average "body type" of a pitcher and she was often made fun of for not being able to run as fast as the others and unless she was on a hot streak on pitching well, she was often made fun of. A lot for the time it didn't affect her unless she was also not having a good day; but then the other girls on the team would take it further and would rarely console her. "you shouldn't do that." "You need to toughen up."
"you should feel that way." there were more things said about her, than promotion of her, even when she was doing well, even knowing that almost all of the rest of us on the team could not do what she did and throw the ball the way that she did.
I did not join into the banter that the other girls on the team would say about her; but sadly, I did not say anything against them or stop them from saying what they said.
I didn't end out my senior year of high school on the team due to a knee injury, but from the couple of real friends I had on the team would tell me that the cycle never ended.
Some of the cliques and negative speech didn't end until 2 of the coaches left.

No comments:

Post a Comment