Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Bullying

I never was really into any sports related activities until high school, and even then I was never really into them I was just good at it and plus it kept me active. When I did do a sport I usually had someone or multiple people who I knew and eventually I was the one to be in a group that is considered to be well known not only in that sport, but in the school as well. I can't say I was one to ever be bullied simply because I was "short" and so "tiny" that everyone thought that it was cute and it was liked by many. Moreover, going into cheerleading my Junior year there are females coming from all walks of life and may not have had such an easy transition to high school as I did. Though going into cheerleading, we built a sisterhood, so regardless of your upbringing if you made the team we were basically family. Of course, you have those who aren't really aware of everything that a female should know to do when it comes to personal upkeep. Meaning some didn't have the necessary toiletries to be able to keep their hygiene up for various reasons. Some can say it is due to lack of family support to be able to afford them, so they may not have had access to them or just the lack of knowledge of knowing what things are right to use if and when they are on their cycle or even what to do with the items. So there was a particular day during practice when one of the three head coaches made a public announcement to all of us that someone had an odor. The thing is everyone knew who it was that she was referring to because it happened often. Keeping in mind there were still immature people on the team, so people were laughing and whispering as if the young lady wasn't in the room. The coach went on expressing how we all are old enough to know how to clean ourselves etc. What she failed to realize is maybe the young lady didn't know the proper way and for her being a coach and a parent after hours she should've chose a different way of voicing her concern on the topic. For example, since she already knew the person she should've pulled her to the side and gave her some pointers and if she was feeling really generous, she could've bought her a few items to help her get a visual of what things she should use and how to use it. Then if she wanted to make an announcement about it she could let everyone know that it's okay to come to her if we needed anything and found a better way of easing or hinting at what she was referring to without pinpointing anyone. Looking back to the situation now, I think I could've became closer to the young lady, get to know her situation if she allowed it, and just offer all the knowledge I had and have based on what my mom taught me about personal hygiene in a way that she would've understood in hopes that she use it in the future.

1 comment: