Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gender Expression

The first time I realized I was a girl was back in kindergarten. It was at P.E and we were conducting fitness test. I wanted to be the fastest one around the track and out of the girls I was. We had been training the whole school year for these test . The day came and we all gathered on the track. The p.e teacher blows the whistle and we’re off.  I came in third that day. I cried as soon as I finished. I was so upset and hurt that I didn’t win. I lost to two boys. My teacher begin to explains to me that I should be happy I beat the rest of the class and that males or boys will always naturally be better in sports that require strength. Not the best thing to tell a kindergartner, but it did help me stop crying and accept the fact that at least in some way, I Won !
Through my life I have always thought of myself as a girl. Not a girly girl, but just a regular normal girl. I’ve played several different sports and personally I believe none of them make me seem boyish at all. I’ve learned that just because a boy has an advantage doesn’t mean you can try to be better yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment