Thursday, October 3, 2019

Aerie vs. VS

Image result for victoria secret modelsGrowing up, I was used to seeing Victoria's Secret ads. I watched the Victoria's Secret runway show. I even wore strictly VS bras and underwear for years because that is what was popular and what everyone else was wearing. These models for VS were all slender with limited muscles. They had "perfect" bodies, or at least that is what I thought a perfect body was growing up. I am 5'9" and I am muscularly built. I work out often. I am not skinny, but I wouldn't consider myself fat either. I am healthy. The girls' bodies in these ads for VS are not what I could ever even achieve. I was not built to look like any of them. This was hard for me growing up. I see so many ads where girls have tiny waists, thigh gaps, and big boobs. I have big thighs, normal boobs, big muscular arms and shoulders, and cellulite.


As I have gotten older, I have come to accept and love my body. Despite many companies still trying to show this one body type as the "ideal" body type, Aerie has decided to change the wave. Aerie is the bra/underwear line through American Eagle. When shopping online you see every type of girl, with every body type. They don't hide their rolls or cellulite. They even display women's body hair in these ads. Growing up, this would have made the world of difference with my insecurities. More brands are becoming more "normal body positive" but for the most part when you are shopping clothes are on mannequins that are size 00.
Advertisements are key in young people's perception of their bodies, styles, size, and even culture. So many ads are so exclusive for skinny, white, dainty, feminine users. This is something that needs to be changed. In my eyes, Aerie is taking the right steps. They use all ethnicities, body sized, and even more feminine and more masculine women for their ads. This is something that could help boost a young girl's confidence. The amount of women in the population that look like VS models are minute. However, any girl can find a model for Aerie close to home. Aerie uses the hashtag #AerieREAL. I think this campaign is a winner. Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment